5 New Year’s Resolutions for a Healthy Mouth
Many people want to have a beautiful smile and healthy teeth but often think that the only answer is cosmetic surgery. This is a false notion. Anyone can have a healthy mouth if they follow the right oral hygiene strategies. Start off your year by setting good dental resolutions.
Dr. H. Carl Burton Jr, DMD, Greenville Cosmetic Dentist
While we at Dr. H. Carl Burton Jr, DMD Dentistry in Greenville SC. offer a wide range of cosmetic dentistry services, we always encourage our patients to follow good oral hygiene to ensure their teeth remain healthy and durable.
Here are five New Year’s resolutions for a healthy mouth and a beautiful smile:
Brush and floss
- One of the best ways to maintain a healthy mouth is to brush twice a day and floss every day. In addition, use a fluoride containing toothpaste. Brush for at least 2 minutes each time but do not overdo it. Aggressive brushing can erode the gum line and damage your teeth. Everyone should floss once a day. A toothbrush cannot remove all the debris and food particles stuck in the deep crevices and hence flossing is necessary. This is the minimum requirement to keep your teeth clean. No matter what you do and how busy your schedule is, there is no way that you should skip brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once a day.
Eat a healthy diet.
- One of the most common reasons why people develop cavities early in life is because of a poor diet that includes too much sugar. The best way to have a healthy mouth is to start by eating a healthy diet that contains a healthy balance of minerals and vitamins. Eat fruits and vegetables regularly and cut down on the sugar. In addition, drink water instead of cola beverages. This not only eliminates sugar but it also avoids unnecessary junk calories. Finally to keep your teeth pearly white, avoid too many caffeinated beverages. If you do drink coffee or tea, rinse your mouth afterward. Overall, a good and healthy diet comprising of fruits and vegetables and healthy meats and grains can help you maintain good oral hygiene. Never consume too much candy, especially at night. Even if you have a sudden craving and consume a chocolate bar or candy, brush your teeth immediately so that the sugar does not accumulate in your teeth.
- Nicotine not only causes permanent staining of the teeth, but it is also a leading cause of oral cavity cancer. The nicotine creates an environment in the mouth where bacteria can thrive, and over time this leads to damage to the gums and loss of tooth support. The best thing you can do for yourself is to stop smoking altogether. This is a very bad habit, something that is likely to cause negative effects on your health in the long-run.
Reduce acidic beverages
- Evidence suggests that people who drink too many acidic beverages like sugary and artificial fruit juices end up with damaged teeth. The acid in these beverages damages the surface of the enamel and exposes the underlying tissues to cavities. If you really can’t live without your fruit juice, minimize their intake and make sure that you brush your teeth immediately after having them.
See a dentist regularly
- What many people forget is that the best way to keep your teeth healthy is to see a dentist regularly. Most people only see a dentist when they have a tooth problem but in many cases, this is too late, and the damage has been done. By seeing a dentist regularly, any tooth- or gum-related problems can be identified early, when treatment can reverse the problem. In the long run, a preventive dental check-up is far cheaper than going to the dentist to fix an acute problem. It is recommended that people who have no oral cavity problems see the dentist once a year, but those who already have tooth or gum problems may need to see the dentist more frequently.
Cosmetic Dentist Greenville SC
If you keep up with these resolutions in the coming year, not only will you have healthy teeth but you will also have a beautiful smile. We do recommend that you not only keep true to those resolutions but also visit a dentist regularly, whether you have dental issues or not. The best way to avoid dental problems is to keep your teeth clean at all times and to have a dentist look at them regularly. Call us today at Dr. H. Carl Burton Jr, DMD, your Greenville cosmetic dentist to book an appointment today.