How to Maintain Your New Dental Implants
For people who are missing some teeth or have damaged teeth, a great option is to have dental implants. Dental implants can immediately restore the natural look of a face and will also allow you to eat, speak and chew without any impediments. However, if you want your implants to last, you need to take care of them. If you are interested in dental implants or wish to learn more about maintaining your new dental implants properly, talk to a dentist in Greenville, SC.
Generally speaking, implants need the same care as your natural teeth. If you do not take care of your dental implants, bacteria and food particles will start to accumulate near the gums which could lead to other dental problems like bleeding, pain and eventually loss of more teeth and even the loosening of the dental implant. That is why it’s important to take care of your dental implants.
Here are a few tips on how to maintain your new dental implants:
- Regular Brushing: If you have dental implants you need to brush them the same way as your natural teeth. You may use a soft-bristled manual toothbrush or an electric Make sure that you do not put too much pressure on your implants and do your brushing gently but effectively. It is recommended that you brush for at least 90-120 seconds, at least twice a day.
- Use the right toothpaste: In order to prevent damage to your new dental implants, it is important that you use a low abrasive toothpaste. If you want to find out which options would work best, talk to your family dentist in Greenville, SC.
- Don’t forget to floss: Regular flossing is a must if you have dental implants. Use the floss to remove all debris and food particles around the implant. Floss at least once a day. When you first get your dental implant, your dentist in Greenville, SC will teach you how to floss properly. If you do not like to use the string to floss, you can use a Waterpik. These devices are affordable and can help with the cleaning of your implants. It is important to use the Waterpik every day.
- Rinse after every meal: In general, it is recommended that you rinse your mouth after every meal to get rid of the food particles and bacteria. There are many types of mouthwashes in the market. It is generally recommended that you use one that has an antimicrobial agent.
- Use a Stimulator: An effective way to maintain healthy gums and to keep the dental implants clean is with the use of gum stimulators. There are a variety of stimulators available in the market. Try to select one with a rubber tip as it is gentle on the tissues.
- Don’t use instruments: Dental implants are expensive, and if you want them to last, you should not use foreign objects on them such as needles and other sharp instruments to remove debris and food. These objects can easily damage the implant and ruin their function.
- Avoid using dental implants as a tool: Don’t think that your implants are tools that can do anything you want with your teeth. Dental implants should not be used to open up pop bottles or unscrew caps. These habits can permanently damage your implants.
- Visit the dentist regularly: If you have pain, bleeding or difficulty chewing, see the dentist right away. Do not attempt to use home remedies to manage these problems. Also, make it a point to visit your dentist regularly. This is especially true if you have dental implants. Regular visits to the dentist can ensure that there are no functional problems. In addition, you also get a thorough clean up at each dental visit.
Contact Carl Burton Dental for a Family Dentist in Greenville, SC
If you are interested in getting dental implants or if you want to learn more about maintaining your new dental implants, you can contact a dentist in Greenville, SC at the Carl Burton dental office. Carl Burton Dental has a team of professionals who have been providing dental services for many years. Our Greenville dentist will ensure that you understand the use of dental implants, whether you need them and if you decide to get them, they will also tell you how you can take care of them. Call our family dentist in Greenville, SC today at 864-990-0041 and our dental team will be happy to assist you.